Physical rehabilitation is an integral part of medical, social and professional rehabilitation, a system of measures to restore or compensate for physical abilities and intellectual abilities, improve the functional state of the body, improve physical qualities, psycho-emotional stability and adaptive reserves of the human body by means and methods of physical culture, sports elements and sports preparation, massage, physiotherapy and natural factors.
Physical rehabilitation should be considered as a medical-pedagogical and educational process or, more correctly, an educational process. The main means of physical rehabilitation are physical exercises and sports elements, and their application is always a pedagogical, educational process. The quality of it depends on how much the methodologist has mastered pedagogical skill and knowledge.
Principles of medical and physical rehabilitation in Nursing
The program of medical rehabilitation of the patient includes:
- physical methods of rehabilitation (electrotherapy, electrostimulation, laser therapy, biotherapy, balneal therapy, etc.)
- mechanical methods of rehabilitation (mechanist therapy, kinesis therapy.)
- traditional methods of treatment (acupuncture, physiotherapy, manual therapy and others),
- occupational therapy,
- logaoedics assistance,
- reconstructive surgery,
- prosthetic and orthopedic help (prosthetics, orthotics, complex orthopedic footwear),
- Spa treatment,
- technical means of medical rehabilitation (urinal, simulators, devices for introducing food through the stoma, parenterally, other technical means),
- information and advice on medical rehabilitation
- other activities, services, technical facilities.
Psychotherapy in the work of a nurse
- Psychotherapy Is a therapeutic method of influencing a patient’s psyche to improve his health, a somatic state and increase the effectiveness of other methods of treatment. The main “tool” of psychotherapy is the word (having a semantic content and emotional coloring).
- Potentiation is a method of enhancing a specific therapeutic factor with the help of verbal suggestion. The patient has explained the positive effect of the remedy: the better this explanation, the higher the effectiveness of treatment. At the same time, the patient realizes the therapeutic value of the prescribed methods of treatment, he develops a psychological readiness to perceive these methods.
- Mediation is a method of indirect suggestion by using therapeutic factors outside of the connection with their specific action to obtain any psychological effect. For example, a patient with a sleep disorder can be given a good sleep after exposure to some procedure, although in a “pure” form she does not have this effect.
The psychotherapeutic effect of a nurse on a patient can be conditionally divided into 3 stages:
- a preliminary discussion about the appointment of the treatment,
- effects during treatment and
- the final conversation.
The nurse must necessarily know the purpose of the appointment of a particular method, know the nature and mechanism of action of the prescribed medication and procedure. Plan for analyzing possible patient problems in connection with the use of the factor are mentioned below:
- Feelings during the procedure (expected, pathological)
- Emotional reactions of the patient to this factor (mistrust, an expectation of pain, burn, fear of exposure).
- Influence of the factor on life cycles (features of reactions in children, the elderly, during puberty, during the menstrual cycle, during pregnancy, during the menopause).
- Possible nursing interventions (preparation of the patient for the procedure – skin care, hygiene, informing, assessment of the condition, emotional correction, clothing, assessment of the patient’s response to the procedure – expected, pathological, help in composing the daily routine – control of nutrition, diuresis, time of rest)
- The expected results are positive physio reaction, the patient’s active attitude towards his health, and readiness to cooperate with medical staff.
Morgan Kelly is a social health caretaker working for the rehabilitation of patients for the betterment of the society. Furthermore, she also offers personal help at online assignment help UK for students.